Want to try your hand at making your own e-liquid but don’t know where to start? Here at Drip Hacks, we’ve created a handy guide to making your own DIY e-liquids like a pro. From the ingredients to the equipment and method, you can find all the info and top tips you need to get started.
Table of Contents
What ingredients do I need?
First things first, let’s start with what you’ll need for making DIY e-liquid. E-liquids are made up from mixing together a few different elements:
- Vegetable Glycerin (VG)
- Propylene Glycol (PG)
- Your chosen flavouring
- Optional Nicotine Shotts
You can find all of this in our handy starter kit here at Drip Hacks, designed to give you every component you need in one place.
Why use VG and PG?
PG and VG act as the base for your e-liquid concentrates and both have different properties and benefits in their use. The ratio you use will depend on your desired outcome from your e-liquid. Here’s a basic breakdown to help you decide:
PG is a flavourless, transparent liquid used in E-liquid to reduce viscosity, and to carry flavour. It is found in most E-liquids and forms the base of most flavour concentrates. PG produces a throat hit so it can be harsh if there is too much of it in E-liquid, therefore it is best to determine what your preferred VG/PG ratio is. The most common is 70/30 VG/PG. This ratio offers a good balance between vapour production and flavour potential.
VG is a viscous, transparent liquid with a very mild sweet flavour. VG is found in all E-liquid as it is the component responsible for producing vapour. E-liquids with high VG/PG ratios are generally smoother, and produce more vapour than low VG/PG ratio liquid.
What equipment will I need?
Now you’ve got all the ingredients you need, next step is to make sure you’ve got all the additional bits you need to prepare and mix your e-liquid. Having the correct equipment and safety gear is absolutely essential when it comes to making DIY e-liquids. Here at Drip Hacks, we recommend you have:
- An empty bottle
- Your chosen flavouring
- Any safety gear, including gloves, eyewear and an apron.
How do I mix my e-liquid concentrates?
Now you’re ready to get creating, where to start? Follow our step-by-step guide for mixing made easy:
- Work out the measurements you need for everything, including PG/VG ratio, nicotine and flavour percentage. We recommend Steam Engine’s calculator for this, which is a really useful tool that enables you to work out your ratios.
- Apply your safety gear.
- Pour your chosen measurements of each solution into your empty bottle.
- Once all of your ingredients are in the bottle, close the cap and shake to mix.
- Steep your e-liquid to allow for better flavour. Generally, fruity blends take less time than dessert flavoured e-liquid concentrates, but the recommended time is stated on the bottle.
- Do a taste test.
- Decant into small bottles if you’re batch-making.
- You’re ready to fill your vape!
Follow our steps here at Drip Hacks and you’ll be making your own DIY e-liquid like a pro in no time. Once you’ve got the measurements you require, the ingredients and the few bits of equipment, DIY mixing is quite simple. Creating your own e-liquids allows you better control of your vape flavours, the size of your vape cloud and brings a whole new level of creativity and fun to vaping.
Inspired? With starter kits, useful equipment and a whole range of delicious flavours to choose from here at Drip Hacks, you can find all you need.